I've only been there twice when the Operation Rescue people were present. It took me one try just to find out that they are usually there before noon.
I know something about Planned Parenthood and now I also know something about some of the Operation Rescue people. So here are some facts.
- The Operation Rescue people I met weren't actually protesting. I mean they weren't walking up and down with signs and chanting. What they want to do is try to talk women who are going to have abortions out of it. A less important goal is to talk women out of using birth control.
- The two times I've been the group has been the same four people.
- I'm told that on the first Saturday of each month there are much larger and more vocal groups engaged in something much more like protests.
- The Operation Rescue people view the Planned Parenthood clinic as an abortion clinic.
- Certainly this clinic does provide legal abortions, but it also provides other medical services for women, namely birth control, testing and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases, including HIV, consoling, and primary routine gynecologic care.